I call this the Anytime Tux because somehow it works just as well going to a fashion forward formal event as it does going to lunch with friends. I might swap in a big black clutch in place of the fur bag if I was running errands. It's what I wore on New Year's Eve but it's also what I'd wear meeting new clients or shopping for shoes. In New York we're fairly formal doing day-to-day activities but you could just unbutton the collar and wear less jewelry if your locale is a little more casual. Tux separates add immediate polish to any outfit.
The key to wearing tux separates well is: fit, fit, fit. Make sure the skirt (or pants) are tailored to your shape and just grazing all your curves. Then mix and match however you like. Beautiful fits make even the most unlikely color and pattern combinations work. Trust me. Try it.
I like adding something super unusual (like this accordion fur bag everyone thinks is a flask!) to really give it that extra visual interest. It's a little off in the best way.
Draping the jacket over your shoulders (or taking it off completely) also dresses it down a bit for day (or for partying on the dance floor at night... like I did).
We stayed in a giant apartment in Brooklyn for NYE. I passed the B52 bus! I used to take it, like, every day! That was exciting. We all brought our own booze to enjoy before we went out and some improvising was necessary. ;) We hung out at two bars. I wasn't in charge of picking where we went (so it's all a little fuzzy) but one of them was Trophy Bar.
- Oleg Cassini Black Tie cropped tuxedo jacket from tag sale in Dix Hills
- vintage blue ruffle tuxedo shirt from tag sale in New Hyde Park
- Louis Feraud brocade skirt from tag sale in Great Neck
- vintage mink fur accordion bag from tag sale in Plainview
- Prada Spazzolato rubber-dipped Mary Janes from Nordstrom Rack in Westbury
- lace socks, Christmas gift from Sock Dreams
- Chloe + Isabel scarab necklace from Jessica Beam C+I store
- various animal bangles from various tag sales
Don't have anything to say right now? Give a +1 instead! Just click the G+1 button right below.