I rounded up 156 top tag sale businesses to ask them what the three hottest sellers are in their area right now and the results are in...
- Vintage/Costume Jewelry. The biggest piece of the pie is costume jewelry. Jewelry, in general, blew the rest of the answers out of the water. I separated fine/gold/silver into the precious metals category as (no surprise!) several of the respondents mentioned they were being melted by the buyers.
- Mid Century Modern & Danish Modern. My question was very open-ended and a ton of respondents specifically singled out "anything mid century" from general furnishings.
- Precious Metals. This included silver serving pieces and decor, gold & silver jewelry, and copper. No one really mentioned other precious metals but my experience is that people do look for some of them, too, depending on the price of the metals on any given day.
- Usable/Kitchen/Home Items. Quite a few respondents reported that anything that has actual use value was popular at their sales, including vintage and high end kitchen items.
- General/Vintage Furniture. This included high-end contemporary furniture and generally good condition, usable furniture but didn't include MCM furniture.
- Tools. People love vintage, antique, high-end, junk. Pretty much any kind of tools are a hit.
- Bricabrac/Decorative/Collectibles. From high end crystal and ornate mirrors to sports memorabilia. This category has certainly dipped from days past when people thought they'd retire on their Lladros and Hummels.
- Clothes/Accessories. This included vintage, designer, usable, bags, shoes, scarves.
- Outdoor. Patio sets, urns, garden supplies, garage items, barbeques. It may be the time of year, but outdoor items are hot right now.
- Unique. Anything especially unique or rare seems to be a draw for a lot of respondents.
Thanks so much to everyone who gave their time to this project. We'll also be breaking this down by region with everyone's responses in greater detail. So make sure to put your email address in the box below and click "Sign me up."
And then visit the comments section and let us all know: What are you looking for at tag/estate sales? What's hot in your area?